St. Pauls United Church, Harrowsmith is situated on Highway 38, about 20 kms
north of Kingston. Harrowsmith was first settled by the United Empire Loyalists
in the early 1800s. Currently there are about 600 residents living in and
around the village.
It is generally a bedroom community with people traveling the thirty minute drive to Kingston to work.
Many pristine area lakes provide recreation and relaxation. There are quaint, locally owned businesses providing a variety of merchandise such as gifts, quilts, fabric, antiques and horse riding supplies. Services include a post office, convenience store, restaurant and gas station.
Many community groups use the facilities at St. Pauls to hold meetings and to gather to work at their craft. Welcome!
You are welcome to join us on Sunday mornings (click here for worship times) . From September to June, there is Sunday School for the children at the same time as the worship service.
Tuesdays - 7:00 PM
Our organist is Annabelle Twiddy. We welcome any new members who are interested in singing with us.
Third Sunday of Each Month
Food bags are collected for the Partners in Mission Food Bank.
The first church built in Harrowsmith was the Wesley Methodist church built in 1849. It was a large frame building situated on an elevation at the north end of the village. The church was replaced by the current limestone structure in 1919. The original church was converted to a church hall. It served this purpose for many years. It was torn down in 1963 and replaced by the manse.
The church is constructed of 2 different colours of limestone (grey and tan) from 2 different quarries in the Harrowsmith area.
When the church was being built, they were short of hands to put the bell in the belfry so the minister (Rev. Stewart) offered to help. Since he was not a country-type man, he had no overalls so he went to the store and bought a pair and charged them to the Women's Association. He was given the duty of holding the rope to pull the bell up. While holding the rope, he said "A man of my position should not be doing such dangerous work" and promptly dropped the rope and left, almost causing an accident. The Women's Association was annoyed because the overalls were never returned or given to anyone else.
The Upper Room addition consisting of a Kitchen, offices and Sunday School rooms was added in 1986.
An elevator was added in 1990, making St. Paul's church wheelchair accessable.
In 1926, the Methodist, Congregationalist and Presbyterian churches amalgamated to form the United Church of Canada. St. Paul's United Church was part of a 4 point pastoral charge along with Hartington United Church, Murvale United Church, and Holleford United Church. In 1968, the Hartington, Murvale and Holleford churches were closed and St. Paul's was combined with Trinity United Church in Verona to form the Harrowsmith-Verona Pastoral Charge.